God is in the Depths
Then Jonah prayed to the Lord his God from inside the fish.
"I cried out to the Lord in my great trouble,
and he answered me.
I called to you from the land of the dead,[b]
and Lord, you heard me!
You threw me into the ocean depths,
and I sank down to the heart of the sea.
The mighty waters engulfed me;
I was buried beneath your wild and stormy waves.
Then I said, ‘O Lord, you have driven me from your presence.
Yet I will look once more toward your holy Temple.’
I sank beneath the waves,
and the waters closed over me.
Seaweed wrapped itself around my head.
I sank down to the very roots of the mountains.
I was imprisoned in the earth,
whose gates lock shut forever.
But you, O Lord my God,
snatched me from the jaws of death!
As my life was slipping away,
I remembered the Lord.
And my earnest prayer went out to you
in your holy Temple.
Those who worship false gods
turn their backs on all God’s mercies.
But I will offer sacrifices to you with songs of praise,
and I will fulfill all my vows.
For my salvation comes from the Lord alone.”
Then the Lord ordered the fish to spit Jonah out onto the beach.
Community Group Questions
- What is something that you failed at so badly that you just had to walk away?
- What is something that stood out to you from the message this morning?
- Pastor Nathan noted four different responses that we see in the Book of Jonah: the gritty sailors, Jonah in the fish, the sinful city, and mad Jonah. Which of these responses stuck out to you and why?
- Have you experienced a "storm" that changed your priorities in life and in worship?
- What part of Jonah's prayer, in Jonah chapter 2, is something you want to incorporate into your prayer life?
- Pastor Nathan boiled down the "mad Jonah" response to an underlying statement: "In order to receive my God's love, you must earn Him." How have you seen this attitude in yourself (or in others)? What can we do to battle against this mindset?
- What does it mean to you that "God is a God who is in the depths with us...and them?" How should that change the way you live?
- Share a time in your life when God reminded you that He was in the depths with you.